Every project manager has been thrown into the deep end of the pool. By “deep end of the pool” I mean that you’ve been thrown into some weird, technically challenging, scary projects that you probably knew nothing about. How do you initially survive being thrown into the deep end with barely a pair of water wings? If you’ve been thrown into a project like this, here are some tips:
1) Figure out how to tread water. What can you do right now to understand the project better? Can you review historical documentation? How about talking to current or former team members? At first the project will seem overwhelming, but you’ll need to put your arms around it quickly. What can you do right now to help you keep your head above water?
2) Figure out who your lifelines are. I call them lifelines because these people truly are your lifelines when you’re learning the ropes of a project, especially one that is challenging. I’ve had many lifelines over the years to whom I am eternally grateful and without whom, I would’ve fallen flat on my face! Lifelines can come in the form of a project stakeholder, a project team member or even a project sponsor. These are your go-to folks that can always be relied upon to help you as you work through the beginning phases of a project.
3) Stay organized. You’re going to meet some crazy challenges and that will be much harder if you don’t know where anything is. Trust me on this one!
4) Be honest. If you don’t know Ruby on Rails, PHP, Java or C++, own it. Don’t walk into your first developer meeting and try to go toe to toe with those folks, pretending like you know something you don’t. You’ll be found out in a heartbeat and it won’t be pretty. If you know enough to be dangerous, mention it, but let them do the talking.
5) Avoid crazy drama. Scary projects can sometimes come with crazy drama. Crazy drama is not your friend. Don’t let it suck you into its vortex of craziness. If anyone says anything remotely crazy, say something like “hmmmm…” or “I’m still getting up to speed on the project, I wasn’t aware of that”. As a friend of mine once said, “you can’t fight crazy” and you’ll end up battling Will Ferrell’s maniacal Anchorman 2 shark (as perfectly depicted above!).
Now, take a deep breath and get ready to dive into the deep end gracefully!